If you are torn between staying home and going back to work, why don't you investigate the possibility of starting your own home business? More and more women are becoming “mom entrepreneurs” everyday. In fact, there are now 10.1 million women-owned businesses, and growing, in the United States alone, generating $2.3 trillion in annual revenue, according to the Center for Women’s Business Research. Starting and operating a business has never been more accessible to moms than right now. So let’s get you started!
Here are some ideas of home businesses you can start today.
- Tutor/Teacher – Whether it’s computers, musical instruments, or homework help, start teaching for some extra cash.
- Daycare Operator – Check your local child development government office to see the requirements for operating a home daycare. Some states do not require licensing if you watch just two children or less.
- Antiques – Scout out the local yard sales and estate sales to buy some antiques. Refurbish or just resell. eBay is a great place to sell antiques.
- Crafts & Jewelry – Are you a creative type? If so, think about selling your own crafts or jewelry at flea markets or online.
- Fitness Instructor – Teach Pilates, Yoga, or be a Personal Trainer. This requires certification in most states. Once you are ready, train at the Rec Center or call local Fitness Clubs to see if you can offer your services. Get the word out of your qualifications.
- Scrapbooking – Do you enjoy scrapbooking your family photos? Many moms don’t have time to scrapbook. Show off your skills for your friends and hand out some business cards. Networking should get you some clients that would like you to turn their photos into works of art.
- E-Business – Start an informational website or sell products on the web. E-Business is a huge trend and is growing more every year.
- Sell on eBay– This deserves its own category, since its one of the fastest growing category of new business in the U.S. Sell on EBay or sell stuff for others on EBay.
- Desktop Publishing/Virtual Assistant – Were you a former Office Manager or Administrative Assistant? Put those skills to use by offering a Virtual Assistant on call business.
- Catering/Event Planning – Are you a wiz in the kitchen? Did you receive heaps of complements when you helped plan your niece’s wedding? Look into starting your own catering or event planning service.
- Bookkeeping – Are you great at accounting? Many of us are not and need your help. Start a bookkeeping business to help small business with their books.
These are just some of the business ideas out there waiting for you to discover. Need more direction? SmartMomma has compiled some great entrepreneurial links for you.
- Entrepreneur.com – Magazine dedicated to entrepreneurs. There is a section on the website devoted solely to home businesses. A very reputable site.
- NAWBO.org – National Association of Women Business Owners. Check out your local chapter to see what kind of networking resources they can offer.
- Mominventors.com – See how other moms made their dreams come true with their own inventions.
- HBWM.com – Home Based Working Moms. A good community and informational site for work at home moms.