When you’re a mom, you are busy. What did you do before you had kids anyway? We vaguely remember bubble baths, books, movies, and hanging out with friends.
Now that you are the leader of your personal 3-ring circus, taking care of yourself can get lost in the shuffle. But your kids need you to be at your best, and the only way you can do that IS to take care of yourself too. That includes getting your exercise in.
Although chasing after a toddler may seem like exercise, you still need some focused time working on yourself. But how do you fit exercise in?
- Take your baby with you. Take your baby on a walk, or better yet a run around the block. Invest in a jogger stroller and a baby backpack. Get out and hike or snowshoe in the winter. Fresh air never hurt anyone and it will only do your children good. If your children are old enough, a nature hike is good for the soul.
- Join a gym with a childcare room. Yet another way to take your kids with you. Most gyms offer childcare rooms. Some time on the treadmill will more than prepare you for the long day ahead.
- Exercise at home while baby is playing. Put your baby in her bouncy seat or swing, let your toddler play, and put on an exercise DVD. Your toddler will get a kick out of mimicking your workout.
- Exercise at nap time. Is it your little ones nap time? Get a quick workout in before you make that sandwich.
- Exercise before they wake. Morning is a wonderful time to workout, if you are truly able to get up and do it. Studies show that those who workout first thing in the morning are more likely to stick to their routine.
- Exercise at night. This is a good solution for working moms. Get the kids bathed, fed, and in bed and pop in a workout DVD or run to the gym while dad hangs out with the kids.
- Make exercise a part of your day. Take the steps instead of the elevator, walk to the grocery store, or bike to work. Every little bit counts, and baby steps add up to be giant leaps.
- Pencil it in. Schedule your workouts and stick to them. Post the schedule on your refrigerator so you won’t forget.
Do you want to be caught up on all the latest happenings with you and your baby? Join SmartMomma Advantage for free! You'll receive your choice of e-mail newsletters, from monthly updates on your baby's development to weekly sales alerts and the latest pregnancy, baby, and toddler news. Stay up to date with the SmartMomma advantage! Join today!
Which diet is best for me?
Eat Carbs and Exercise
Exercise During Pregnancy