What is Infant Massage?
Infant massage has become widely used in American culture within the past few years. Infant massage is just what it sounds like, the gentle massage of your infant, whether full body or specific parts of the body. Infant massage originated in India and was practiced for many years there before being brought to the United States.
What are the Benefits of Infant Massage?
Infant massage has many benefits for baby.
- Skin-on-skin contact: It has been medically proven that more skin-on-skin contact with your baby promotes good physical and emotional health.
- Improved digestion: If you have a gassy baby or a baby with tummy problems, the proper techniques of infant massage can help burst her bubbles – gas bubbles that is. Many moms start infant massage to help with gas and colic.
- Increased level of trust and bonding: While you are massaging your baby, she will look into your eyes and feel the love in your eyes and your hands. This promotes more bonding with your baby.
- Relaxation: Your baby will be more relaxed and less fussy if you practice infant massage.
- Increased Growth and Development: Infant massage increases weight gain and improves the immune function.
- Better Sleep: With infant massage a regular in baby’s life, she will sleep better.
How do I learn more about Infant Massage?
- Books: There are books out there that will teach you the proper techniques of infant massage. Click here for books on infant massage.
- Classes: Your local hospital or Birth Center may have classes on infant massage
Do you want to be caught up on all the latest happenings with your baby? Join SmartMomma Advantage for free! You'll receive your choice of e-mail newsletters, from monthly updates on your baby's development to weekly sales alerts. Stay up to date with the SmartMomma advantage! Join today!
Play: Read to Your Baby
Play: Babies & Music
Bond: Nursing & Bonding